Have been at this makeover for ages and being fairly mediocre (read: no Guru) at HTML codes (being self-taught) it has been slow and arduous. Still not feeling like the blog's got the perfect exterior that I have in mind, so I will persist till I'm either satisfied or saturated. So far, the family is not starving or looking like they are neglected with this preoccupation of mine though the signs are beginning to show.But no, I'm not referring to my html acumen when I mention Guru. Here's homage to the Bollywood hit of the same name! We watched all of nearly three hours of said hit owing to great reviews which yours truly as usual read somewhere and kept pestering hubby. Being on holiday and all, I thought it would be absolutely disastrous if we did not even watch one movie courtesy of the mothership. So, that was what it was all about and "Guru" was "IT". Needless to say, knowing me, I am going to whinge about it. The songs,omg, could kill if songs could. We forwarded them so if there were any subtle nuances that were intended through those, too bad. Fools to have anything important to impart through soft porn! Anyway, more about what I thought was being portrayed through this masterpiece of S***. All good that the writers showed the importance of the Indian economic growth in the late '50s-early '60s being shared by the masses and illuminating the rest of the world about the corruptive practices that nonetheless would still be part of the progress of India, no matter what. Abhishek's portrayal of middle class लड़का making it big was nothing to "Oscar" about but nice. Aishwarya was alright though I feel that her portrayal of the meek wife is getting a bit too run-of-the-mill and could result in the demise of her star status though that is neatly ensured against through the forthcoming marriage. Her participation in the movie was just to lend her lovely face and distract viewers from the obvious flaws of the movie.About the film, however, no raving reviews from these quarters - rotten tomatoes would not do enough justice. I was unhappy with the fact that I waited and waited for something really interesting to show up; all in vain. Reminded me of some cheap western pioneer movie of days gone by. The script entirely lacks originality or oomph and is a sorry ambassador of Indian cinema. All this from Mani Ratnam who is considered a "Guru" in his field. Labels: abhishek, aishwarya, Bollywood