
For several days I've been slumping over a yearning to go back to India. No particular reason since I don't have much family there. I miss India (read Mumbai)... the crowds, the people, the noise, the hustle and bustle of a country's pulse that is constantly beating to the rhythm of a very, very fast bhangra. Nostalgia is gripping at my insides. Today I had to don the traditional garb of a newly purchased patiala simply to make myself feel better. No panacea was that! I am still craving for the mothership. R says that we do need to go back simply to remind ourselves why we came here in the first place. Maybe hubby is right. Wisdom in his old age?? Anyway, we'll save that topic for another post. But getting back to me. Here are some of the things I miss about Mumbai:- The food - spicy Indian and nothing but; the roadside vendors with pani-puri and the like.
- The noise - the cacophony to remind you that you are alive.
- The nightlife - clubbing, dining, etc.
- The nosy neighbours who would know what's happening in your family even before God has a chance to make them happen. Here our neighbours don't even know we exist.
- The fashion... yes, definitely the fashion. Kiwis have no fashion sense. Everything is way too casual for me.
- The spirituality of a loving city bound by the trials of life as it is.
- The transport - what I would give to be in a rickshaw with some Bhai-saab!
- The education system - be it what it is, it is accessible - much cheaper than it is here. I don't know when that PhD is going to happen considering how costly it is here.
- The shopping, of course.
- The whole multiculturalism that emanates from the city.
- Friends dropping in whenever, with no formalities and us doing the same.
- The urban-ness.
- The familiarity of Indianism, whatever that means!
Lucky 13 and I'm going to leave it at that. I don't think adding the negatives about my city is important. I want to savour my homesickness for a while longer. It makes me feel and I like that.
Labels: homesick, india, mumbai